ARTICLE I - NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Iowa-Illinois IA/IL Section of the American Industrial Hygiene Association (hereafter referred to as the IA/IL Section).
ARTICLE II - PURPOSE
The purpose of the IA/IL Section shall be to promote the purposes of the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), as set forth in its Articles of Incorporation.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Any member of AIHA, residing within the area of Iowa and Illinois not already included in the boundaries of the Chicago Section, the Upper Midwest Section, the Nebraska Section, or the St. Louis Section, may become a member of the IA/IL Section upon payment of local dues. Subject to the approval of the IA/IL Section Executive Committee, any member of AIHA living outside the geographic boundaries of the IA/IL Section may become a member of the IA/IL Section by giving written notice to the IA/IL Section and the Executive Director of AIHA. A member of AIHA may be a member of more than one IA/IL Section.
Section 2. On payment of local dues, any person having a professional interest in industrial hygiene may become an associate member of the IA/IL Section, entitled to the privileges of IA/IL Section membership.
Section 3. Additional classes of membership in the IA/IL Section may be created with approval of the Board of Directors of AIHA. Emeritus membership in the IA/IL Section may be extended to a member who has retired from the practice of the industrial hygiene profession, with approval of the IA/IL Section Executive Committee. An emeritus member retains all privileges of a member of the IA/IL Section but will not be assessed local dues.
ARTICLE IV - MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
Section 1. Meetings of the IA/IL Section shall be held at the time and place designated by the Executive Committee.
Section 2. Special meetings may be called by the President at any time, with the approval of the Executive Committee or by petition to the President, signed by members of the IA/IL Section in good standing.
Section 3. Notice of the time and place of any meeting shall be delivered by mail, electronic media, or telephone not less than ten (10) days before the date of the meeting.
Section 4. The presence of twenty percent (20%) of the members of the IA/IL Section in good standing shall be required to constitute a quorum for any meeting.
Section 5. Executive Committee meetings shall be held at the discretion of the President at any time during the year, provided notice of at least ten (10) days is given.
ARTICLE V - OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers of the IA/IL Section shall consist of the President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and three elective Directors. Any IA/IL Section member in good standing may be elected as a Director of this Section, but only an AIHA member may be elected as President, President-Elect, Secretary, or Treasurer. No person shall serve as officer in more than one Local Section at the same time. An officer need not reside or work in the geographic boundaries of the IA/IL Section. Officers shall be elected by the members of the IA/IL Section in April each year, and the IA/IL Section shall give notice of the names and addresses of the newly elected officers to the Executive Director of AIHA within thirty (30) days of such election. The President-Elect and President shall serve a one year term and the Secretary and Treasurer shall serve a two year term, unless a successor is elected and installed at a special election.
Section 2. If the office of the President-Elect becomes vacant, the President for the following year shall be elected in April of the following year. If any office becomes vacant, the Executive Committee shall appoint a member to fill this vacancy until the next annual election.
Section 3. An officer may resign by oral tender of resignation at any meeting of the Executive Committee, or by giving written notice thereof to the Executive Committee. Such resignation shall take effect at the time specified and acceptance of such resignation shall not be necessary to make it effective.
Section 4. An officer may be removed, with or without cause, at a meeting expressly called for that purpose, by a majority vote of the Executive Committee. If an officer fails to attend three consecutive scheduled meetings of the Executive Committee, the position may be declared vacant.
Section 5. The President shall preside at all meetings of the IA/IL Section membership and of the Executive Committee and shall perform such other duties as may be directed by the Executive Committee. The President shall appoint a Program Committee, Nominating Committee, and such other committees as the Executive Committee may deem necessary for the orderly function of the IA/IL Section. The President shall appoint members of the committees. All committee appointments shall be for a one year term. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
Section 6. The President-Elect shall perform any duties delegated by the Executive Committee or assigned by the President.
Section 7. The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all monies of the IA/IL Section, shall receive all monies due the IA/IL Section and shall pay all authorized bills against the IA/IL Section. An accurate list of the members and their status shall be maintained by the Treasurer. The disbursement of all funds for the IA/IL Section shall be made upon authorization of the Executive Committee. The Treasurer shall submit the accounts for audit at the April meeting of the Executive Committee. At the May meeting, the Treasurer, shall transmit to the successor in office, all funds and property of the IA/IL Section. The Treasurer shall submit an annual report to the IA/IL Section in such form as may be determined by the Executive Committee.
Section 8. The Secretary shall give notice of all meetings of the IA/IL Section and the Executive Committee, shall keep a record of the transaction of business that may come before such meetings, shall carry on the correspondence of the IA/IL Section, and shall be custodian of the records of the IA/IL Section.
ARTICLE VI - ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
Section 1. Officers and directors will be elected in April of each year, either by meeting or by electronic ballot.
Section 2. The President-Elect shall automatically accede to the Presidency on election and installation of a successor.
Section 3. A President-Elect shall be elected to serve for one year. The Secretary and Treasurer shall be elected each to serve for two years.
Section 4. The three elective directors shall be elected to serve for a term of three years with one director being elected and installed each year.
Section 5. The names of all candidates nominated according to Sections 2 and 3 shall be voted on by ballot, provided, however, that if there is only one nomination for any office, the Chairperson shall direct the Secretary to cast one ballot showing the unanimous election of that nominee.
Section 6. Election shall be by a majority of the Section members voting.
Section 7. Tellers shall be appointed by the President at the time of the election. They shall not be members of the Nominating Committee.
Section 8. The newly selected officers and directors shall be installed and shall serve until their successors are installed.
ARTICLE VII - COMMITTEES
Section 1. The Executive Committee shall consist of the officers of the IA/IL Section, three elective directors, and the immediate Past President. The Executive Committee shall be responsible for governance and management of the IA/IL Section and approval of new members. The President shall serve as the Chairman of the Executive Committee. Five (5) members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. The act of a majority present at a meeting at which a quorum exists is an act of the Executive Committee. Each member of the Executive Committee shall be entitled to one vote.
Section 2. The President shall appoint a Program Committee which shall consist of not less than three (3) members. The President-Elect shall serve as its chairperson. The Program Committee shall present a tentative program for the year to the Executive Committee for their approval. On approval of the Executive Committee, the Program Committee will then complete arrangements for speakers and for meeting places, and provide the Secretary with information to be circulated to the members of the IA/IL Section.
Section 3. The Nominating Committee shall consist of two (2) or more members appointed by the President at least sixty (60) days prior to the April meeting of the IA/IL Section. At least one member shall be from the membership at-large. The President shall appoint a Chairperson of the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee shall nominate persons for officers of the IA/IL Section and shall deliver its nominations for each office in writing to the Secretary for circulation with the notice of the April meeting. Nominations may also be received from the floor at the time of elections.
Section 4. The President may appoint such other committees as are deemed desirable for the effective action of the IA/IL Section.
Section 5. The membership of all committees appointed by the President shall terminate with the close of the term of the President.
ARTICLE VIII - IA/IL SectionS COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES
Section 1. The IA/IL Section shall be represented on the Local Sections Council of AIHA by the highest ranking officer or designee. The IA/IL Section representative may not be an officer or member of the Board of Directors of the AIHA.
Section 2. The member(s) who attend the Local Sections Council Meeting shall report to the IA/IL Section on the annual meeting of the AIHA, and bring to its members highlights of that meeting. This report shall be rendered at the first IA/IL Section meeting following the national meeting or by mail.
ARTICLE IX - PUBLIC STATEMENTS
Section 1. Before the IA/IL Section publishes or otherwise issues publicly any statement upon a policy matter which purports to represent the opinion of AIHA, it must obtain the consent of the Board of Directors of the Association.
Section 2. Before any officer or director of the IA/IL Section publishes or otherwise issues publicly any statement upon a policy matter which is within the policy area of the IA/IL Section, it shall be determined that the statement expresses the majority opinion of the members of the IA/IL Section.
ARTICLE X - DUES
Section 1. Annual dues for IA/IL Section membership become payable on the last day of May. The dues shall be set by the Executive Committee and approved in accordance with the procedure set forth in Article XI.
Section 2. New members shall pay the full year’s dues when accepted for membership from June through November. Members joining from December through May shall be assessed one-half the annual dues.
Section 3. Any member whose dues are unpaid on September 1st is not in good standing, and shall have no vote or other privileges of membership in the IA/IL Section. If the dues of any member are not paid within one year of the due date, the membership of the member in the IA/IL Section shall be terminated.
ARTICLE XI - BALLOT
The Executive Committee, at any time, may conduct by ballot, a referendum of the membership of the IA/IL Section in connection with an issue it may consider or action to be taken. Except as provided in Article XII, a plurality of the ballots cast in a referendum on any issue to be considered or action to be taken shall be effective to constitute a decision or act of the IA/IL Section with respect to the issue or action to be taken. In the event of a tie vote in any such ballot, the tie shall be resolved by vote of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE XII - AMENDMENTS
Section 1. Amendments to these Bylaws may be presented by any member in good standing at any regular meeting of the IA/IL Section or at any special meeting called for that specific purpose. The amendments shall be presented in writing and shall be offered to the membership present at the meeting on motion for consideration and circulation to the membership. A simple majority shall be necessary to pass the motion. Amendments accepted for future consideration and circulation shall be printed and circulated with a ballot to all members in good standing. A two-thirds affirmative vote of the ballots returned within thirty (30) days shall be necessary for adoption of any amendment.
Section 2. Amendments to these Bylaws must be approved by the Board of Directors of the AIHA before they become effective. This is done to ensure that future changes in the IA/IL Section Bylaws will have the same force as the original, which was so approved.
DATES OF CHANGES
- Last known record of changes: August 10, 1988
- Proposed changes: December 2006
IOWA-ILLINOIS OFFICERS DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Keep current with the development in the field of industrial hygiene and guide the IA/IL Section in the formulation of constructive activities.
- Preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee and membership, and perform other duties as directed by the Executive Committee.
- Call for Executive Committee Meetings and send out letters of agenda.
- Appoint chairperson of Nominating Committee (usually President Elect).
- Appoint Program Committee (chaired by President-Elect) and act as ex-officio member of this committee.
- Appoint other committees deemed desirable for effective action of the IA/IL Section.
- Appoint tellers at the time of election if more than one person is nominated for an office.
- Serve as a representative to the AIHA Local Sections Council.
- Oversee all functions of Iowa-Illinois Section Committees and monitor their progress. Also, monitor functions of other officers and board members.
- Chair Program Planning Committee which establishes annual activities for IA/IL Section.
- Complete the following as needed:
- Choose tentative sites, dates, subjects and speakers for dinner meetings.
- Choose site(s), date(s) for special events (pizza, golf, etc.).
- Decide on participation in larger meetings (Governor’s Safety Conference, Iowa Safety Congress, etc.). Choose subject(s) and level of participation.
- Secure speakers for events with the assistance of the Board of Directors and other officers.
- Write confirming letters and thank you letters to all speakers.
- Chair meetings when the President is absent.
- Other duties as needed.
- Record the minutes of IA/IL Section and Executive Committee meetings and distribute to Executive Committee members.
- Maintain the files of the IA/IL Section and ensure files are transferred to successor.
- Maintain supplies of the IA/IL Section (letterhead, mailing materials, forms and originals, membership applications, etc.).
- Advise the Executive Committee of the list of members and other pertinent information.
- Inform National AIHA of meeting activities, i.e., name of speaker, length and date of meeting, etc.
- Publish and distribute newsletter approximately 8 times per year.
- Publish and distribute membership directory each year.
- At end of business year, compile membership statistics requested by national AIHA.
- Post a list of available industrial hygiene jobs to IA/IL Section’s web site.
- Keep Treasurer informed of expenditures in the way of supplies.
- When necessary, place ads in local newspapers when IA/IL Section activities warrant.
- Inform the Executive Director of AIHA the names and addresses of newly appointed officers and directors.
- Solicit and maintain a listing of advertisers for inclusion in newsletters.
- Custodian of all monies of IA/IL Section.
- Prepare and present financial reports to membership and the Executive Committee.
- Receive all monies due the IA/IL Section and shall pay all authorized bills against the section. Arrange the meeting place and selects the menu for meeting.
- Specify type of arrangements to be made at the meeting room (e.g., type of seating, cash bar, podium, microphone, screen, projector)
- Make reservations for meetings, takes attendance at meetings, accepts money for meeting attendance.
- Responsible for product investment of cash assets.
- Ensure the IA/IL Section’s group exemption form is filed with national AIHA by June 30 each year.
- Maintain IA/IL Section membership and distribution list.
- Maintain the files of the Section and ensure that files are transferred to his/her successor.
Serve as an advisor to the President and the Executive Committee in order to maintain continuity of IA/IL Section activities. As a voting member of the Executive Committee, attend meetings to ensure a quorum. To serve as a special representative of the President to attend activities or functions internal and external to the IA/IL Section.
Board of Directors
- Serve on the Executive Committee.
- Assist with planning of meetings.
- Assist with the identification of and contact with speakers for meetings.
- Complete other assignments by the Executive Committee.