AIHA is . . .
A professional industrial hygiene society of scientists and engineers committed to protecting the health and safety of workers and the community. The American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) is the largest and most prestigious international association serving the needs of the industrial hygiene profession. For more information on AIHA, visit their web site.
What Is a Local Section?
Local section is the term used by AIHA to designate regional chapters. AIHA, the largest occupational health and safety association in the world, has 75 local sections. Because each region has its own special concerns, specific local section activities may vary, but the purpose of each section remains the same to protect the health and safety of workers and the community as well as promote the profession.
Who is the IOWA-ILLINOIS local section?
Our local section was formed in 1968 and approved by AIHA in 1969. Our membership base covers the territory south of Chicago and the Iowa north border east to Peoria, south as far as the St. Louis area, and as far west as Des Moines. Our members come from academia, government, manufacturing, insurance, consulting, services, and medical sectors. We are professionals dedicated to protecting the health and well-being of the worker and the community through the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, and control of those stresses affecting the worker and/or the environment within the Iowa/Illinois region.
Goals of the IOWA-ILLINOIS local section are . . .
- To promote the purposes of AIHA to professionals within our region.
- To protect the health and safety of the worker.
- To protect the communities and environment within the region.
- To promote the safety, health, and environmental professions within the region through encouragement and cooperation with, government, industrial, educational, and other professional bodies.
- To increase the knowledge base of the safety, health, and environmental professions through interchange and dissemination of information.
- To bring together individuals interested in any and all aspects of the safety, health, and environmental professions.
- To sponsor student scholarships for promoting the industrial hygiene profession.
Why become a member of the IOWA-ILLINOIS Local Section?
Membership in the IOWA-ILLINOIS AIHA local section provides you with a multitude of benefits. We see the greatest benefit as that of networking opportunities. We see ourselves as a resource for you. A resource dedicated to bringing you the latest developments and information in the occupational safety and health fields.
Your membership will . . .
- Help keep you informed through periodic meetings and newsletters.
- Offer you opportunities for professional growth through:
- Educational opportunities.
- Professional development courses.
- Sponsorships and co-sponsorships of symposiums and conferences.
- Affiliations with other organizations dedicated to the safety, health and environmental professions.
- Keep you in touch with other professionals.
Do I have to be an industrial hygienist or a member of AIHA to join?
No! Our local section does not require national membership in AIHA. We welcome all who have an interest in the safety, health, and environmental professions.
What is the cost of membership?
Your membership dues are only $25.00 per calendar year and serve to cover the costs of eLearning subscriptions, newsletters and other informational material.
How can I join the IOWA-ILLINOIS Local Section?
Use our membership application form. You can either enter the information electronically before printing or you can print the form and fill it out by hand. Either mail the form with your dues or bring them to the next meeting. We look forward to having you be a part of our local section.