Links of Interest
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses
- American Biological Safety Association
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- American Society of Safety Engineers – Greater Boston Chapter
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- Connecticut Valley Chapter of ASSE
- Mass AOHN
- New England Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Mine Safety and Health Administration
- National Institutes of Health
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Other Organizations and Institutions
- American Lung Association
- American Red Cross
- The Construction Institute
- Ergo Web
- Institute of Hazardous Materials Management
- The Laboratory Safety Institute
- Massachusetts Coalition for Occupational Safety and Health
- National Safety Council (NSC)
- Pan American Health Organization
- SIRI (MSDS database)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
ABIH has discontinued all CM point request reviews for Category 4 Education events (with one exception as noted below). Instead, individuals will have to calculate their own CM points. ABIH plans on providing additional information and guidance such as updated CM worksheets, point calculation tools, and guidance documents. ABIH posted an initial announcement in November and an update in December.
NEAIHA will assist in easing this transition and ensure that meeting agendas show the number of hours of technical content and calculated CM points.
ABIH Credit for 2011 Ethics Workshop
For those who attended the Ethics Workshop at the 2011 All Day Industrial Hygiene Conference and Vendor Exhibition, the ABIH CM approval number is the same as the conference’s approval number. Attendees should record 0.33 CM Ethics points and 0.67 IH points for CM purposes. No separate number or receipt is required. NEAIHA will maintain a copy of the sign-in sheets for our records.
ABIH CM Points Resolution for Meetings from 2004 to 2008
Dear NEAIHA Membership:
On April 13, 2009, members of the NEAIHA Executive Committee, with input from recent Past Presidents, sent a letter to ABIH regarding the misunderstandings over the CM points awarded for our technical meetings from 2004 to 2008. On July 6, 2009, ABIH responded with the attached letter.
For seven out of the 16 meetings that are still relevant where ABIH did not provide the number of hours awarded, they are awarding us 3 hours and the 0.5 CM point. For the nine meetings where they indicated 2 hours they are continuing to award the two hours. With this resolution, the total difference from the 16 contested meetings is 1.5 points out of a possible 8 CM points. In their letter, ABIH states that no NEAIHA member will lose their accreditation this coming cycle because they are short points due to the contested meetings as long as Tracy Parsons (tparsons@ABIH.org) the Administrative Program Manager at ABIH is contacted by September 1, 2009. While this resolution does not satisfy all of the committee’s concerns, this is a compromise that the EC voted to support.
Even without this issue, anyone getting close to certification should review their point totals. The NEAIHA.org website has a CM point table for our meetings and NEAIHA point information can also be obtained at the ABIH.org site using their Search function and entering “AIHA-New England Local Section” as the sponsor.
Please note that for meetings after September 2008, 0.5 CM points have been awarded and we expect this to continue in the future unless otherwise indicated in the meeting notice.
Any questions or concerns, please contact the NEAIHA President, Andrew Kalil, at email@example.com.
The NEAIHA Executive Committee